Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Duck Dynasty

I am bound to write something about getting back to the land, especially farming, one of these days. It's something I love. I believe in backyard chickens for fresh eggs, and home gardening, even if it is just a few vegetables in your flowerbed. Do what you can.
But Duck Dynasty? What is that about? I'm not knocking it, it's one of my favorite shows. But I'm not known for going with the popular vote, and it is popular. Wildly popular. You can't drive down the road anymore without seeing signs outside of stores advertising their Duck Dynasty merchandise within.  For that matter, I don't know that I saw nearly so many Twilight/Team Edward merchandisers. Someone asked me the other day to just imagine how many Willie Robertsons there will be for Halloween this year. Wow.
So what is it about them? Where is the appeal? Why is my son running around with a 4 inch wide bandana on his head?
It's a reality show, but there are plenty of others. It's humorous, ditto. So what, then? Why are people watching a show that makes fun of smart phones and the internet age that we rely so heavily upon? It surely isn't so that we can watch whatever gross creature they've just found. 
I think it's about an extended family that sits down together around a home-cooked meal every night and prays over their food. For many of us that era is in the past, and in some ways we miss it.
With the Robertsons, everyone works hard and plays hard, but they are there for each other, and at the end of the day they find time to sit down together and chill (without their smartphones).
Happy, happy, happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

elf

clarins